A friend recently sent me a link to the Huffington Post on the topic of why there is so much good sex happening after fifty: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-kelley/sex-over-50_b_2040883.html . They list reasons while sex is so popular in the second half of our lives . Popular or not, some things never change.
Here is my list of what’s really happening with us “older” lovers:
1. Time is of the essence – War Lines: Men used them on women when they went off to war. They came in a variety of the same sentiment: “I may never return”, “Show me you love me”, “You are the only woman I will ever love”. Now, similarly they infer that we may never have this moment again: “I’ve been having chest pains and my left arm hurts so this may be the last time”, “you are the last love of my life” (where are all the others?). The sentiment remains the same: let’s not waste the moment; we don’t know how many are left.
2. I won’t get you pregnant: I promise (just like the war lines!) This time he couldn’t if he wanted to (thank God).
3. Since Bob Dole made that special commercial that we used to think was embarrassing we have all grown up about sexual “issues” (there are no problems only “issues”). Bless you, Senator. Thanks for setting us free.
4. Diminishing Eyesight: I agree with Huffington. Nobody cares any more if you have stretch marks, low boobs or your balls hang between your knees. We are just all eternally grateful if someone is with us trying to give us pleasure.
5. Wisdom. You, by this time, know you had better call her the next day. If not, there is another Hurricane Sandy coming your way. That is called Wisdom.
6. Again, Huffington has it right: It is OK to call out the wrong name. Hell, he can’t hear well, anyway.